Natalie - Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
Themes: hope, illness

I believe that one day there will be a cure for breast cancer. This I believe because women today, such as my Aunt Kelly, are fighting this desperate cancer with hope and courage as they look on the positive side of their situations. When there is a cure, these brave and persistent women will be known as the modern crusaders of women’s medical treatment, the ones who suffered terribly and fought for survival, hoping to one day see a cure for their daughters and all women of tomorrow. Through these women’s stories and values, a new generation of unwavering and relentless women will be inspired to face the darkness of breast cancer.

When my Aunt Kelly was first diagnosed with Stage 4B Ductal Breast Cancer, I was 12 years old; at this age, I did not realize the severity of her cancer. I assumed that she would quickly be healthy again. Little did I know that she was only one step away from the worst case scenario. As I grew up and matured, I gradually learned that she bravely turned to her doctors and immediately underwent a double mastectomy along with the removal of twenty-one lymph nodes. After this surgery, she was immediately started on three simultaneous chemotherapies for sixteen weeks. Throughout these sixteen weeks, I can remember my aunt losing all of her beautiful hair; the first time I saw her without her hair was the moment that I realized how sick she really was. Finally, after many difficult months of chemotherapy and radiation, her tests were complete and she was pronounced free of her breast cancer.

Now that I am fifteen, I have truly realized the pain and suffering my Aunt Kelly endured; the funny thing is I never remember hearing her complain throughout her months of treatment. She always seemed to have a smile on her face when we visited. My respect for my aunt has grown so much now that I have recognized everything she has tolerated. This cancer has been an undeniable part of her life; she continues to fight for a cure because she wants her five-year-old daughter to never have to experience the pain she went through. Whenever I am faced with a difficult situation or a seemingly impossible task, I think of my aunt’s apparently hopeless fight against a cancer that plagued her body. She inspires me to never give up in anything I do, even if the chances of succeeding are slim.

I believe that one day there will be a cure for breast cancer. By reading the brave stories of women who always find the bright side in their desperate and seemingly hopeless situations, we shall be empowered by their strength, and together, we will find the cure.