Ma Su - Northridge, California

Dream of Life

I believe that dreams of life will come through if there has a belief, decision, and hard work.

When I was studying in high school at my country, Burma which is situated in Southeast Asia, I had a dream of going to United States to continue my college education. Descending from the middle class family, I had some difficulties to go to the U.S. My parents couldn’t support financially. And also my culture background restricted me to go outside of the country and survive alone as a girl.

All those situations led to loose my dream. At that time, I asked myself, “Am I strong enough in attempting to reach my goal? Do I have a belief of attaining my goal? How much effort can I contribute in it? And how can I handle tough situations?” I had a strong feeling and belief of going there and exploring new experience. Finally, I decided to take actions until succeed. I planned step by step to accomplish my dream.

As a first step, I tried to attain a certain level of education in the U.S. I practiced for one year to take TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) which could allow entering as a college student there. Second, I took several communication classes related with the U.S. to assimilate its custom and culture. During my communication practice, I took the TOEFL and applied some colleges in the U.S. as a third step.

I knew that every step I went through has purpose and direction of my own. There might have some difficulties, but they were just steps of stair to go the top. I didn’t care how people would judge my action, and I only care what I have belief about my dream.

Whenever I had a hard time, I remembered the time when Thomas Edison tried seven hundred times in attempting to invent the electric light. It can have several failures while you are trying to attain your goal like Thomas Edison. But those failures are succeeding in proofing the way of not working.

I am happy that I can now live in my dream. I could come to the U.S. in 2001 and continue my education in California State University, Northridge. This is not because of luck; it is just because of my belief, strong decision, and hard work. I succeed because I believe that my dream will come through one day.

When I think back to my old days, I have more confidence in believing of my dreams. I’ll continue to have more beautiful dreams and I’ll accomplish according to my belief of success.