Rico - 94707, California
Themes: purpose, question

Who am I? What do I value? What do I believe? These are some of the questions I ask myself constantly and strive to answer and understand. I have never been good at describing my feelings exactly as they are. There is always something I later feel was interpreted in the wrong way. Nevertheless, I try my best to describe my beliefs and opinions even though they are not concrete and develop and expand daily. I believe that open-mindedness, speaking and listening are the most important abilities people need in order to achieve the greatest goal of understanding and love for one another. With all these aspects acquired the goal would be achieved, peace throughout all lands and between all people, no matter their color, shape, size, beliefs, practices, or gender. This I believe…

I believe the ability to keep a truly open mind in life is one of the most honorable talents. To keep an open mind is to never reject something at first sight. This includes trying new things, being adventurous and truly trying to understand new ideas and practices of people other than myself. With an open mind, people can learn to love and understand each other better and even form opinions and perspectives based on what this open mind sees. Ideally one would not finalize these opinions but would leave them open for alteration, expansion, or complete change.

I believe that the ability to speak up and out is another necessity to live a peaceful life. People are continuously experiencing things that make them feel good, bad or otherwise. These feelings are not meant to stay inside where they will develop into much stronger and overpowering feelings. When someone has strong feelings, they need to express them verbally, artistically, or physically, but not violently, in order to maintain this ultimate goal of peace.

I believe the ability to truly listen to others is yet another mandatory skill in life. Just like I have things to say for others to hear, they have things to say for me to hear. I believe that the elders, especially family members, in our society are the most valuable people. They can offer us so much, through simple conversation, about people, history, and/or life by pulling from experiences or morals they have lived and learned. Listening is not only helpful in learning values to live by but also in learning to form relationships with others. No matter the differences, this can greatly help ones ability to love strangers with immense amounts of respect.

I believe strongly in these beliefs because I value my opinions and myself. In a way, at the same time I do not believe in these beliefs because I know they are merely temporary. They will soon develop and expand as I experience new things, talk to different people, and listen to others. My beliefs are young but growing trees. This I believe…