Evelyn - Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania

I have come to believe, after many years, in the power of relaxation. I don’t mean lounging on a tropical beach with a cool drink, although that is wonderful. I mean allowing myself to relax wherever I am, in a busy mall, a face-paced office, or a quiet country lane.

I used to believe I had to be perfect. I used to believe I had to prove my worth. Now I allow myself to relax. .

What brought me to this point? Years of therapy, for one. Lots of books and a handful of really good books. Two amazing spiritual experiences that revealed to me – in no uncertain terms – my inherent, unconditional worth. Medication. Lots of practice.

How do I practice relaxation? I take care of my needs. I put my welfare first. I use a form of meditation that is enjoyable for me.

Most of all, I practice seeing other people’s actions as “doing for themselves” rather than “doing to me”. I practice not taking anything personally.

When my husband is driving fast or tailgating a car or attempting to cross traffic to get into the exit lane, I practice relaxing instead of tensing. After all, my tensing will not avoid an accident, and if we do wreck, being relaxed will help my muscles avoid serious injury.

What about when schedules are demanding? When I have to hurry. Well, I know now that it is possible to move quickly without rushing. It takes practice. Sometimes a lot of practice. But, oh, it is worth it!