Edith - Santa MAria, California
Themes: family, immigrant

I believe that good parents will always do their best to give their children a better future even though the name they give their child may not be pronounced correctly by others.

My father migrated into the U.S. in the 70’s to work in agriculture. In the year 87 my mother joined him. They were able to become legal residents due to Amnesty. I was brought from Mexico at age 5 on September 1988. This was a whole new change for me with a new country, language, and a new school.

As I remember the first day of class, when my mother was filling out the forms to enroll at the elementary school, I knew that I was determined to see myself later on in life different from my class peers left back home in Oaxaca, Mexico. The secretary was an Asian-American who didn’t speak Spanish and my mom didn’t speak any English. As my mom was filling out the forms the lady asked my mom for my name and she replied, “Edith” (pronounced ‘ed?t’). It was very hard for the secretary to say my name and after attempting 3 times, my mother handed her the forms. As she read it, she said loudly, “EDITH!” (Pronounced as she read my name in English) My mother just agreed and nodded, I couldn’t understand what was going on.

Ever since my name was pronounced in English, during conferences and awards day, my mother knew when her daughter was called because she understood her daughter’s name. My name’s pronunciation had changed, but I was still me.

I am a young lady who was brought to the U.S. ad to fulfill a dream of success. My parents didn’t have an opportunity to attend college, so now it was up to me to benefit from the opportunity given through my parents. I have the luck to attend college. I am filled with eagerness to continue and finish my education at California State University Northridge and I want to become a CPA.

I am like the strawberry plant that my father grows. My parents planted me, then watered and fertilized me. Now, this plant has blossomed and in the flower a big, red, and sweet strawberry will be the final product. I want to pursue my education and really soon I will see my parents in the audience applauding as I walk down in the Commencement Ceremony, and as the speaker presiding the ceremony might not be able to pronounce my Spanish name; I will not mind. I will have a huge smile of satisfaction for accomplishing my parents’ desire of my success. Even though if my professors, peers, or school nurse couldn’t pronounce my name, I am still La Edith de mami y papi.