Meghan - Seekonk, Massachusetts
Themes: setbacks

I believe in the opportunity that arises in facing adversity. I have made a habit of seeking out the positive in the negative.

A prime example of this in my life occurred at my Junior Prom. Prom is supposed to be an amazing night. Every girl wants to have the perfect dress, a gorgeous hairstyle, and a wonderful time with her friends. Sadly, the night of my Junior Prom was ill-fated from the beginning. Everything that could have gone wrong on that special night did, and I am not exaggerating.

To start the night off, I arrived at my friend’s house to find a small hole in my dress. My mom convinced me that nobody would notice; I calmed down and put it behind me. My friends and I continued to enjoy ourselves while waiting for the limo to arrive. We waited….and waited.…and waited. Is it really necessary for a limo to be two and a half hours late without any notice? I think not! We were all extremely anxious by the time the limo finally showed up. Next, our driver somehow managed to get lost on the way there—we reached Prom over three hours late.

As I entered the hall, wondering how on earth this night could get any worse, I felt a peculiar jab at my side. When I reached down, I discovered that my dress’s once-tiny tear had morphed into a five-inch gap! I was mortified! I quickly sought out the one woman who could fix my problem: the fairy godmother of battered ball gowns, the curer of dying dresses everywhere….my Spanish teacher. She is known for her quick patch up jobs on prom dresses. This Spanish seamstress wasted no time, rushing me into the bathroom for repairs.

We discovered that my little hole was the first of many—the disease of my dress had indeed spread. Almost every seam had split. While sewing up my dress, she was kind enough to lend me her long trench coat. It was a surreal scene. There I was, standing in the middle of the ladies’ room; wearing nothing but a trench coat, while practically every girl at the Prom looked on.

At this point, I decided I had to give up on being stressed. I laughed to myself. I took pictures with my friends in my fashionable trench-gown. I made up my mind to have a good time. I was not going to let a little mishap like a tattered dress ruin my Prom. Once the ripped fabric was partially-mended, I hurried out onto the dance floor and stayed there the entire night.

In circumstances where many would have cried endlessly, I chose to focus on the positives. Sure, we arrived three hours late, my dress fell apart, and I spent half an hour in the bathroom wearing a trench coat.

But there I was, surrounded by my best friends, dancing away my troubles. I had the time of my life, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.