Alan - Viola, Kansas
Themes: family, love

As far back as I can remember my family has been very close. We would go to church every Sunday together, eat dinner at the same time with everyone present, and enjoy Sunday afternoons together. These actions influenced ideas and morals when growing up so that I formed into a person that I would like as a friend. Because of this, in today’s society, I believe that having strong family values is important.

I have many great memories from my childhood. Of course, growing up with 9 in my family, there was never a dull moment. With this many people, all with different ideas and directions, I learned to be patient and listen to opinions and details. When I woke up in the morning I had to be patient and wait for the bathroom that my sisters always took over. Yet, when I paid attention to detail, I figured out that when I heard my sisters alarm go off, it was time to run to the bathroom and put my contacts in before one of them took it over.

I can also remember after Sunday morning mass traveling to my grandma’s house and playing with all my cousins, which had done the same. There was always a football game, and accompanying it, threats from our moms, telling us to not get our good clothes dirty. My whole family knew what was going on in everyone else’s family. There was plenty of moral support if something happened and an abundance of happiness.

My family is the most important thing in my life. I know that no matter what happens there will always be someone there to help me. I believe that the way I was raised shaped me into a responsible and respectful person whom I would gladly be a friend to. I think that it is important to smile and help other people any way possible. When I see that someone is not quite themselves, I always try to talk to them or help them in any way possible. This I learned from living in a great family, and this I will always try to live by. Spending time with the family is something to be cherished and practiced, and it will not change in my eyes. I believe a family is true, happy, annoying, complicated, frustrating, loving, and priceless.