david - phoenix, Arizona
Themes: hope, love

Hope. The force behind this word has the power to overcome virtually any adversity. When outcomes of events are uncertain, hope is the largest factor. All people rely on hope at some time in their lives, whether it is hoping for the safe return of a loved one from far away, to hoping that I will be accepted to the college of my dreams, to even hoping that I got an “A” on my last physics exam. Without hope, I think that society itself would simply collapse. I think that President Lincoln had hope to end the Civil War and keep the Union together. What if he never had that hope, would he have sent men to war? Would the Union still exist? We will never know, because he did have hope, as well as love for his country to fight for what he believed in.

I believe that hope and love go hand in hand. I hope everyday that I may find someone that I will come to love. Without that hope, I don’t think that my life would have as much meaning. Love is something that everybody should experience at some point in their lives in order to live a complete life. Some people say that love makes the world go round, and I have to say that I agree with them. For me, love for my friends and my family is my first priority. Every morning I wake up, I am always eager to go to school because at school, I am in the wonderful company of those I love. I am a little saddened as my senior year comes to a close; many of my close friends will be moving off to colleges around the country. I will miss them greatly, but there will always be a place in my heart for them. High school has been the best time of my life, even though there have been moments that were not so great. I made it though those difficult moments only because of the support of my great friends. I love my friends very much, and I don’t know how I would have survived high school without their love and support.

I believe this: without love and hope, this world would be a very dreary place.