Ethan - Tonganoxie, Kansas

Many people in this world believe in something. Weather it’s God or how poorly our government runs, people believe on something. These are sometimes the same, sometimes different. A lot of time people don’t do a right that we have had since are government was formed. This right was written in our constitution, which brings me to my belief.

I believe in freedom of speech or as I like to put it, being real. People in this country aren’t real these days any more. People assume if they speak their mind, it will offend somebody. I believe this because I met a person who was real. He told me things like it was. He didn’t lie to me, instead he told me like it was. Even though I didn’t like the way he told me how it was, I respected him for it. After being around him I met more people that were real and told me how it was. Then I got a different perspective on life. I started to be more real with people and tell them how it was even if it was offensive. I also thought, why do we as Americans have freedom of speech if people aren’t using it. I listen to this person when he talked and how he acted I put more thought in life. After listing to his knowledge I tried being real.

Once I started being real I quite worrying about if I will offend them if I say what I think. Being real sometimes involves criticizing thing like our government or people. I don’t care if people don’t like me because I offend them. You would think that GOD would want you to be honest than lie. It says in the ten commandments not to lie, but if no one is real then people have failed.

We as kids were lied to most of are lives which is wrong. If you don’t know what I mean then I will lay it out. Christmas is a holiday celebrating the birth of Jesus. Yet we were told and still being told that Santa Clause will bring you presents. That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of celebrating Jesus birth. I think that we should tell kids Santa isn’t real and tell kids the true meaning. The ten commandments say not to worship another God or ideal. We were lied to and that’s not right, just be honest with us.

If Americans would quite worrying about being racist and just tell the truth, as I put it be real. People won’t say what they want to say to someone because it might offend them then go live in a box. It’s not racist to someone if you are telling them the honest truth. My point is, if you have something to but afraid your’re going to offend them, just say it. We have freedom of speech and we barley use the damn thing.