Ivan - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in success. I believe that anybody has the capacity to achieve anything that they anchor their minds to. Being a high school senior allows me to profoundly ponder my future and the direction in which it seems to be heading in. In that respect, the desire to become successful always comes to mind. Success allows us to live a life void of financial hardships and difficulties. It decreases the limitations that our family faces with what they do with their lives. Today, many people are moving their families to the United States in search of a better life. It is, after all, the land of opportunity. Because our generation is modernizing both industrially and technologically, it presents us with an array of jobs that we can undertake to feed our families.

Originally being from Indonesia, I am aware of the standards of lifestyle that goes on outside of the U.S. and how much less fortunate it can be. I remember that our form of entertainment was very limited; most of it took place outdoors. Much of the technology we have in the U.S. today, such as computers, video game systems, and TV’s, were not very common back in Indonesia. The lifestyle there was very tough, and sometimes felt unfair. Many of the Indonesian government officials had the tendency to be corrupt. Public schools, from elementary school to college, charged tuition fees, so a person with no money could not attend. Money was such a crucial aspect to succeeding in Indonesia.

If you have the smarts to succeed in the U.S. but no money to finance your way through it, it is still possible for you to make it one way or another. On the other hand, it is the complete opposite in Indonesia, where corruption plagues the city at every turn. As a result of such events, many families are fleeing from that lifestyle.

My parents moved us here for that very reason; to give my brother and I a fighting chance to succeed in the vindictive world we live in today. Because Indonesia is a Muslim populated country, the Chinese were often discriminated from higher position jobs, unless you had your own business. In the U.S., everybody is equal and has the chance to succeed in life no matter of how much money you have. More job opportunities arise each day to give everybody a chance to succeed in life.