Stephen - Chandler, Arizona

A Little Kindness Goes a Long Way

I believe in the act of kindness, not only in conscience attempt, but also in the unspoken sense. Everywhere people are in turmoil, simply needing a lending hand or an open heart. Whether it is directing a worried mother to her lost child or assisting a sibling with homework, kindness is always needed. It only takes a small sacrifice to deeply affect the life of those in need. In doing this, one may find that while extending a hand of kindness he/she may realize an unresolved issue within his/her life. I’m reminded of this by a specific incident one Sunday morning.

I decided to go to church early, even though my family chose to attend a later mass. Throughout the service I came to notice this elderly woman in front of me who was into the mass and was extremely friendly. When we were about to get communion an usher came up to me and asked if I could help this woman to communion. The woman was legally blind. I nodded my acceptance and moved up a row to sit next to her before the communion procession began. As we waited she began to talk to me about the mass and the priest’s sermon. I then guided her to communion and we sat back down, still continuing our little chat. After mass ended, I decided to guide her to the exit, because she asked if I could take a picture of her and the priest. After accomplishing this, we began walking towards the parking lot, talking about her nursing career and my college plans. She thanked me a number of times, and then said something I’ll never forget, “Tell your mother what a good job she has done.” She then proceeded to walk away, insisting she knew how to get home moving swiftly and carefully towards her house, only a few blocks away.

Looking back, I am so glad I helped that incredible woman meet the priest she talked so greatly about. However, I also believe she showed a simple act of kindness through what she told me. Through the busy schedule of school, activities, and work I failed to realize how much my parents have done for me, sacrificing their time to make my life easier. The times when they ran around trying to find supplies for a project or their presence at every event to support me, all encompass the small acts of kindness they show every day. That woman’s comment helped remind me of how much I need my parents and how much I should appreciate all the sacrifices they gave up for my well being.

Now that I look back to that Sunday, I see the chain reaction of kind acts intertwined in the lives of the elderly woman and myself. Selfless acts spurred by kindness not only assist the one in need, thus making their lives better, but also give retrospect to the things that are most important in life.