Melissa - Tonganoxie, Kansas

I Believe

When little kids want to play a game you might hear them say, “I wish I was old enough to play that,” or when teenagers want to drive you might hear them say, “I wish I was sixteen.” What I’ve learned throughout my life is you should not wish your life away; life is already short enough without wishing it was shorter.

If you are never happy with your age, you will never be happy with your life. After wishing you were older for all those years, then you will wish you were younger. You only have a little bit of time on earth to spend with your loved ones so you should just except yourself the way you are. If you are happy with your age, you enjoy living a lot more.

My parents have always encouraged me not to grow up to fast, because I will grow up soon enough and have all life’s responsibilities. Whenever my parents hear me say I wish I was older, they always say, “you will grow up soon enough.”

I find that it is better to enjoy your life one day at a time. Treat every day special because you might not have many left. You never know what is going to happen to you during the day, so you should not ever leave your family mad.

I believe each one of us takes life for granted. The saying, “Slow down and smell the roses” really says a lot. Everyone seems to stay in a hurry and people never enjoy the lives they are living now. Everyone always looks forward to retirement, but they shouldn’t wish they were old enough to retire. Once people are old enough to retire they might not be in the physical position to be able to do all the things they had saved money for through all those years. My grandma and grandpa saved all their lives for there retirement years, in hopes of traveling together. Two years into their retirement, my grandpa was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. I know my grandma must feel like she shouldn’t have wished for retirement to come so soon.

You find people everywhere that wish they were just older so they could do a certain activity. I am still working on not wishing my life away, but every so often, I catch myself saying I wish I were sixteen. Then I remember life is short enough already without you wishing it was shorter.