Christopher - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: hope, setbacks, work

The Value of Making Mistakes

I believe in learning from your mistakes. When a person makes a mistake, it is often perceived as a failure to succeed. However, the underlying message within failure is that your attempt did not work and to try something new. Often, the wisest people in society have gained their wisdom from their multitude of mistakes and failures. Thus, we should not sulk in our lack of success but rest assured that the knowledge we gained from our failure will propel us towards our ultimate accomplishments in life.

Our world today would not be the same if it had not been for many great inventors who never decided to quit trying. The work that goes into making an invention entails endless trial and error, and without a heart that always believes that success will come, many people give up their dream of creating something new. The greatest of history’s brilliant minds learned from their failures and used that information to try new ideas.

I have personally experienced trouble when it comes to writing essays. In my freshman year of high school, I was not a very good writer. As a result, I received low grades on the essays. Each essay, I thought I had written better, yet I still received the same marks on my papers. It would have been very easy to accept that I just could not do well in an English class. However, I was determined to improve my writing skills the next year.

For each essay in my sophomore year, I took the teacher’s comments on the paper and put them into practice on the following essay. It was tedious work to take more time in composing an essay, yet the work was necessary to improve my skills. Slowly, my essay grades began to rise. Ultimately, I achieved success in sophomore English that has not faltered since.

Through this experience, I learned the value of seeing my failures as an opportunity to grow. When I make a mistake, I know that I can do better the next time I have a chance to try again. Therefore, I believe in wisdom coming from making mistakes. I believe that repeated failures can only lead to enormous success.