David - McLean, Virginia

The Quest For Truth.

I believe in knowledge. I trust in it, and I live my life in pursuit of it. Whether it is from books, from a teacher, or even from a friend, knowledge surrounds us, begging to be heard, to be learned. It is the adventure without an end. In many cases it is not an easy undertaking, but its rewards never fail and are always worth the effort.

I credit my trust in knowledge to two major factors, books and people. My mother and father started this by challenging my thinking. They would not let me settle for a simple an answer but rather probed me to think deeper into the topic. When you are a young kid, however, abstract thought and high level thinking do no come easily to you. They never gave up, however, constantly asking me “Yes I see how it happened, but why did it happen?” My teachers in high school would assume this role also; whether it is through a heavy curriculum like my Latin teacher Mr. Bigger, or class discussions like my English teacher Mrs. Sipos. Whoever it was, their personalities and experiences contributed to the melting pot that would become my thought process.

My parents contributed yet another major milestone in developing my belief through the introduction to books. My mother, a big reader, felt it was only right for me to be exposed to books at a young, age. I started slowly; simpler books became more complex; hundred page books became two-hundred page books, etc. I started with Dr. Seuss and worked my way up to Tolkien. Through books I feel the great mind of the author spilling all his ideas onto the paper, with me trying to soak up as much as I can on each page. The books are a gateway into the great thinkers and storytellers of all time periods and all regions.

As I go off into college next year I take comfort in my desire for knowledge. I feel that if I have a will to learn, than there are no boundaries to my potential. I believe knowledge to be the basis for what it means to live. It is the blocks of clay from which people carve their houses, their cars, theirs careers, and all the rest. My life, I believe, will forever be a journey to learn, to get educated, and to continually search for knowledge in all its forms.