Freda - Sitka, Alaska
Age Group: 65+

LOVE DOES MAKE THE WORLD GO ‘ROUND…..This I believe….

I was born into a Russian Immigrant family satisfied with only the basics of life, because

it was in America, the land of Milk and Honey. Being in the land of true freedom and opportunity was enough. Never again would they be going through one of the frequent pogroms so gratuitously conducted by Russian Cossacks who felt that throwing Jews onto a pyre of burning bodies was great sport …in good old Russia. They were the example for Hitler when he created “gas ovens…. The Final Solution for Jews” .

There was never enough material things, but there was no lack of love and compassion . As a young child, living in Coney Island (Brooklyn,. New York) our two bedroom apartment was often occupied from wall to wall with other Russian immigrants who had just arrived in the country and needed a place to sleep until they were settled into their own places. I learned that Heart is essential for living and doing the right thing.

When I met my husband, a refugee from The GREATEST HOLOCAUST the world has even known, I asked him how to explain a country so well educated and highly intellectual like Germany was at the time ,could indulge in such catastrophic behavior, his answer was “they lacked Heart ….brains are not enough.”

I was born during ‘the war to end all wars’ 1915… the First World War, and since then there has been no end to wars, genocides, tortures, etc. etc. etc. etc.etc. And I believe

most sincerely and with all my heart and soul the true problem is lack of Heart, which produces love, compassion, tolerance and understanding. Until Heart is injected into our lives and everyday living, nothing can change. I cannot bear to witness such continued pain, indifference, incompetence, and cruelty without end. Once upon a time, I was sure that by the time I reached the deep twilight of my life, all the people in the World would have been in a happy situation…enough food to eat, a comfortable roof over their heads, clothing, protection from any predator, and most certainly Health Care for all. I can easily confess that my idealism has never left me. More than ever do I recognize that without HEART, the World Population will not survive the incessant horrors perpetrated upon them. This I do believe with all my heart and soul…what the world needs now and forevermore is Love and Heart, and from that twosome, the World may be able to prosper, grow, and forever more keep people alive and well. Nevermore will there be genocide, war, torture, starvation. No hate, no pain, no more horrors, only that helping hand and loving heart It may sound like a fantasy but even in real life there is constant hope , planning and. a belief that good things are just around the corner waiting, waiting, waiting. Why shouldn’t I believe?