Austin - Tonganoxie, Kansas

Chuck Norris, I’m sure all of your have heard of him but maybe not in the way he should be heard. You’ve probably witnessed things such as Chuck Norris has counted to infinity, twice or Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door. This is all hogwash though because Chuck is more than that, in fact he’s a nonconformist. He is indeed a nonconformist for many reasons such as his devotion for the greater good of man kind, also he is the only non-korean to receive the 8th degree black belt Grand Master in Tae Kwon Do, in addition he made up his own fighting style to use, Chun Kuk Do.

Chuck Norris is a man of so many avenues. He has spent years in the air force, when he learned the skills of Tae Kwon Do ( Erickson, 1). Also, not so well-known, Chuck was a speed boat racer. He even set a record for racing across the Great Lakes in less than 12 hours and 8 minutes (Chuck). Another accomplishment was that he was the undefeated world champion from 1968 to 1974 (Cole, 17-18).

One way that Norris has shown his nonconformity is the fact that he was from a broken home with a single parent, his mother, and had an alcoholic father (Cole, 30). Instead of mourning his circumstances and being badly influenced he stepped up and instead helps kids in the same situations. Chuck has also proved himself with his successful standing in life despite what he has had to go through. He also is a modest man who doesn’t indulge in the evils of our society, rather he shows good character in his movies and T.V. shows. Chuck has also founded several foundations for kids. Two of these, Kick Drugs Out of America and Kick Start, teach kids from bad backgrounds good decision making, self defense, and discipline (Chuck; Cole, 6). Chuck is certainly a man of good standards unlike most of the rich and the famous.

Another thing that shows Chuck’s nonconformity is that he confides his security in himself by his martial art skills instead of always depending on other sources of shelter. In addition he is one of the most renown martial artists. Norris started by studying Tae Kwon Do and later Japanese and Chinese martial arts techniques. Another insane award Chuck has gained is that he is the only non-Korean to receive the 8th degree black belt Grand Master in Tae Kwon Do, the first person to do so in 4,500 years (Chuck). Also Chuck won several world martial arts championships, 1968 to 1974 (Cole, 17-18). Chuck later founded his own karate schools teaching several celebrities (Chuck). Chuck Norris is one of the few who stands for himself and what he truly believes.

Chuck Norris is a nonconformist also because he always finds a way to show his true nature. Chuck indeed did this by developing his own fighting style, Chun Kuk Do (Cole 17). In this you use both feet and legs equally. This style was successful, winning many fights and world championships for Norris (Cartwright 3). This fighting style requires an insane amount of skill and further shows Chuck’s nonconformity, considering he only settles for the best.

I never knew the real Chuck Norris before. I believe his nonconformity lead to his “vanishing” from mainstream focus because they tend to focus on those who do and say what we want instead of being true and virtuous, like Chuck. I’ve shown but three more examples of chucks nonconformity but so much of everything Chuck does just screams I don’t conform, I am myself. Maybe you too will find the same conclusion and become who you want to be.