Luis - Lakeview Terrace, California

I believe that no one should go through life without friends.

One of the definitions in the dictionary for a friend is a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts. We are all made to interact with different people ever since we are small children, and within those strangers we are able to find a unique person or persons whom we attach ourselves to and create a special bond. This bond doesn’t just appear over night but slowly starts to take form after we start to open up and accept the other person(s). Friendship is a special relationship that has a significant place in our lives among our romantic and family relationships; and there are even those times where we get so close to a friend where we start to accept them as family.

For the past six years in my life friends have become a very important part of my life. The first 2 years of my post high school life, I was moving all across America, from San Diego, to Chicago, to Pensacola, FL, and in between these moves I came across many friends. Being away from home for the first time was hard because I had left my family and friends that I have known most of my life, but encountering new friends filled that void that had formed inside of me. It gave me that small sense of home when I truly was thousands of miles away from home.

With out friends people would lack the support that they need at times. Yes, I know that we have family to give us that support but we sometimes need it from others, which are our friends. One example I can think of is when my friend lost a good friend of hers in a car accident. This was the first time that she had the experience of losing someone close to her and for some reason she didn’t feel comfort in her family. So I tried to be the best friend I could be and gave her a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen to her. After a couple months after the passing of her friend, she told me that she was glad that she had a friend like me to help her through that rough part of her life.

I believe that we all need friends in our lives because without them we wouldn’t make it to far. We all not only emotionally benefit from friends, but we also learn from them. We learn to trust, we learn how to love, we learn how to listen; all these attributes are helpful to us in life.