Andy - California, California

I believe in the good in people. To me everyone is a good, nice, clean person deep down in their souls. Sadly often times everyone does not act that way. I believe it to be my duty as a human being to bring out the best in others. I believe that if I treat people in a good kind way, then they will respect that and treat me the same way in return. I believe that even the evilest of spirits can be defeated by the good spirits within a person; all that is needed is a little bit of hope.

The greatest example of my beliefs in this philosophy was a high school classmate of mine, named George. George transferred to my school in the 10th grade. He had been kicked out of his former school for always getting into fights. When he arrived at my school he was immediately stereotyped as an outcast and as a bad person, both from the students and the teachers. I felt bad for George, because I could relate to him. My teachers also thought of me as a troublemaker and as a bad kid. That was because they did not make the effort to get to know me, before passing on judgment. So I decided that I was not going to make the same mistake with George that my teachers had made with me. I first approached George to introduce myself and tell him that he could hang out with me and my friends. He didn’t really react to me in a negative manner but he was sort of indifferent towards me. At lunch I went and told him again that he should come and hang out with us, and he took me up on my offer. Once my friends and I got to spend time with George we realized that he really was not a bad guy. We found out that the reason he was always getting into fights at his other school was because he was getting picked on for being Armenian, not because he was a violent person. I immediately began to respect George more for that, since he stood up for his principles.

Ever since I met George my mindset towards people has remained the same, and I am very thankful for that. My mind was much more impressionable at the age of 15 then it is now and I am glad that I had a positive experience, or else who knows what type of person I would have turned out to be. I realized that I should always continue to see the good in people and believe that people are generally good, because if I don’t then I will miss out on the chance to meet a lot of really good people. Now I know and believe that people are good it is just that their environment dictates their behavior.