Tory - Van Nuys, California

This I believe

I feel that politeness is the best way towards a great day.

I strongly believe that you should treat people the way you would want to be treated. I do not think people realize how unpleasant they can be at times. I personally would never want anyone making fun of me because I simply stated my opinion, and when I see people around me do that, I wonder how they would feel if I made a rude remark in response to their opinions.

Acting in a polite manner is not at all hard to do. Politeness is all about good manners and etiquette. If you do something wrong, apologize. If you ask for something, you would incorporate a “please” and follow up with a “thank you.” Politeness occurs without yelling, or name calling; there is no room for disrespect when trying to be polite. Sarcasm is also not allowed in your quest for good etiquette. Treat others as you would your grandmother, just be nice and caring. It could have turned my pain into pleasure.

Throughout my life, I, as well as many other people, have been faced with situations where friends, family, or even strangers can be really disrespectful and cold-hearted. As a freshman in high school, trying to fit into a “click” was the hardest thing I had ever experienced. I was never “thin enough,” nor did I “hang with the bad boys.” Being quickly weaned out of those groups, put me in an embarrassed and depressed state of mind. I would feel as if I didn’t have any friends at all. One time I was trying to be a part of a group report for my health class. One person made a rude remark about my appearance, and it is still heavy in my mind. The entire year of ninth grade is what I consider the worst year of my life. It was the year I was depressed most of the time, and that was mainly because of the way other people treated me. I didn’t want anyone to have pity on me; I just wanted to be happy. Now looking back on the whole ordeal, I realize that if any of these people were put in the same situation, they wouldn’t have liked it at all. Maybe if they thought about it, treating others the way you would like to be treated, they would’ve acted differently.

Ever since I grew out of that depressed state of mind, I have made it a habit of mine to be more aware of situations and treat everyone around me the way I would like to be treated. Everyday I ask people how their weekend went, or how their day is going. I try to comfort just about anybody if it’s apparent that they need somebody to be there for them. I always think of what it would be like if I was in their shoes and I was going through whatever they are going through, what I would look for in people at the time and how I would deal with the situation. I know if everyone would just take this golden rule into consideration and just try to treat others with more respect, there would be less hurt, and less people feeling as if they do not have anyone to depend on. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; it’s as good as gold. Always say “please” “thank you,” and “have a great day.”