Justin - Tucson, Arizona
Themes: peace

I believe that either war, deliberate lethal force, violence or any force or coercion is morally wrong. Pacifism is the opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes. Pacifism covers a spectrum of views ranging from the belief that international disputes can and should be peacefully resolved, to absolute opposition to the use of violence, or even force, under any circumstances. Pacifism relates to war as well as to domestic injustices and repressive policies. War has rarely been a just instrument because the acts of war, by their nature, are not subject to the consent of the many innocent parties.

With my beliefs of pacifism, the War in Iraq, on balance, was unjust. The War in Iraq was unjust because it was unnecessary to protect the vital interests of the United States. There was no evidence that Iraq supported the September 11, 2001 attack on the United States. Iraq did not have the capability for a direct attack on the United States, lacking any long-range bombers or missiles or an ocean-going navy.

“Four conditions limit the relevance of this capability for an indirect attack: (1) The potential for an indirect threat from Iraq was in no way distinctive from that by a dozen or so other governments not friendly to the United States that were also presumed to have some dangerous weapons. (2) Iraq had no records of supporting Al Qaeda or other terrorists groups. (3) The leadership of Al Qaeda regarded the secular Iraqi government as infidels for failure to impose a theocratic state. (4) Any terrorist attack on that came be clearly traced to support by a national state could probably be deterred by a per-announced threat to retaliate. As it turns out of course, Iraq did not have any “weapons of mass destruction” to arm some terrorists groups” (DeCosse, http://www.scu.edu/ethics/publications/ethicalperspectives/unjust.html).

I believe that peace is the most favorable condition within which to reside: peace enables enterprise, families, and life in general to flourish.