Roberto - Tucson, Arizona

For centuries the idea of warfare has changed from one generation to another. Many groups in each society have been trying to solve many conflicts through the use of excessive and in most cases lethal force. Today our society faces great troubles and is polarized by the war in Iraq. Critics as well as scholars have proven that this war is unnecessary as well as unjust. Everyday innocent people are killed a far greater cost then the great expense that our government spends every day.

I believe that the President of the United States of America (George W. Bush) made a huge mistake by lying to us when he gave us false reasons to invade Iraq. Bush lied to the very people who had him elected by making a series of accusations against a sovereign and independent country known as Iraq. The first accusation was that Iraq had Weapons of Mass Destruction; if we look back at history we would be surprised, because we helped arm Iraq and Saddam Hussein to keep the communist threat at bay. After many months of research and half a billion dollars spent, David Kay, leader of the weapons inspectors sent to Iraq by President Bush, admitted that they were no chemical or biological weapons in Iraq.

The second lie our country has been asked to believe was that Iraq had ties to Al-Qaeda. This also proves to be untrue because Hussein and Al-Qaeda were mortal enemies, one being secular and the other fundamentalist. A third lie was that Hussein was a threat to the United States, if we analyze Iraq we would find that Iraq’s army had no morale, was poorly equipped and Hussein didn’t even control most of the air space in his own country. The fourth lie that we were duped into believing was that Iraq was a great threat to his neighbors. Iraq is surrounded by countries with far superior military; Iran, Turkey and Israel. The fifth lie was that we needed to liberate the Iraqi people. The Iraqis categorize us as invaders rather than liberators. For example when the American Army took the Basra palace they planted the American flag; this action was taken by the Iraqis as an insult and they felt that America came to conquer them. The Iraqis felt humiliated once more by the arrogance of America. Iraq has been bombed and bombed again for over 14 years now. That is why the Iraqi people are desperate and fight to the death. The Iraqi Résistance are a group of people who have been pushed to take desperate measures such as terrorism, and guerrilla warfare, and they are the real patriots of Iraq that rightfully fight the invader.

There are brutal dictators throughout the world, many supported over the years by Washington, whose people need “liberation” from their leaders. This is not a persuasive argument since for Iraq, it’s about oil. In fact, the occupation of Iraq by the United States is a magnet for increasing violence, anarchy and insurrection, this I believe.