Nidia - Tucson, Arizona
Themes: family, setbacks

The Greyhound Bus Guardian Angle

The mission was already planned; it was that I leave home, for good. Mario and I had talked about it, thought about it, and argued about it. My mind was made up, and I was leaving. I was running away, running away from all my problems, running away from a cold-hearted father, a defenseless mother, but above all I was running away from school. Or so I thought. I called a taxi to come pick me up from home, and as I walked through the front door I yelled at myself not to look back. Packed with only an extra pair of jeans, a shirt, Pajama pants, some shower accessories, courage, memories and thousand of tears I would cry later. I took my taxi to the Greyhound Station downtown. I bought a one-way ticket to the farthest place they would go with the cheapest rate. The time that I spent at the station, waiting for my bus was not spent thinking about my family, but spent thinking about what in the world I was going to do in Fayetteville North Carolina. As it drove off I was filled with energy and enthusiasm but that quickly faded as the miles traveled increased. The bus took two days to get to Fayetteville and in those two days I met my guardian angel. His name was Ruben, from Cuba. He talked to me about his life including kids and wife which he was anxious to see in Fayetteville. I told him my long story without missing any details while I cried those thousands of tears I had packed with me earlier. He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said,

“Do you realize you’re only running away from yourself?”

I turned away from him and stared out my window, he didn’t speak to me after that until our 30 minute stretch break in Georgia. He bought me lunch and told me I needed to call my mom. I was dieing to hear mom’s voice again. I had checked my voicemails, she had left around 21, but the one that stuck out the most was very short and it simply stated “Baby your Eeyore is cold at night without you” I knew I had to call her and now that Ruben was telling me I really had to, I did. I called her and broke down crying. We talked for around an hour, we cried, yelled, laughed, and cried some more. Ruben rented a hotel room for me at Best Western once he found out Dad was coming to get me. He gave me a big hug and said “this isn’t who you are, you’re strong, and why are you pretending to be weak?” Your mom isn’t healthy enough to deal with this heartbreak, and your best friend is lost without you. You’ll soon realize that more people love you than hate you, and that Nidia is very hard to accomplish in life. Take your life and cherish it, for what it is because thanks to the bad times you go through you became the amazing girl that you are.”

That was the last I’ve heard of my guardian angle. I needed to hear that from another person, not my family, not my friends, but a stranger. I believe that we are all instruments of God.