Sandra - Tucson, Arizona
Themes: Christianity

When you prayer to God for something and it doesn’t come right away, you stop believing in the power of prayer. Me? Prayer is what I live on now. A situation in my life turned me from one of those fake believers, to a promoter of prayer, all with one phone call.

When I was a freshman in high school my sister, Julie, was diagnosed with a tumor in her breast. She was only fourteen years old and was just about to graduate from the eighth grade. Of course it really didn’t have a significant impact on my life. The tumor was noncancerous and she was going to need surgery to remove it and the doctors were positive that nothing serious war going to happen to her and that the surgery would be a simple procedure.

I considered prayer a simple task of my day. Every morning I say a series of daily prayers on how I want my day to turn out and who I thought needed prayer the most On the day of Julie’s surgery, I wished her well, said a little pray and went on to school like I would normally. My mom promised to call me as soon as my sister was out of her surgery.

After completing my morning classes lunch time came around and I received a message to call my mom as soon as possible. Automatically I thought the worst of things. I called my mom and to my relief she answered the phone in an optimistic voice. I asked her what was going on and she told me that they were out to lunch. Puzzled, I asked why and she told me that my sister didn’t need the surgery. Surprised, I asked if they had scheduled the surgery for another day or time. Mom my then told me as they were just about to go into surgery, they did an ultrasound only to find out that the tumor was no longer there. “Wow! That’s kind of miraculous don’t you think,” I asked her. She then told me what would forever change my view of prayer. My high school principle, Sister Lauren Moss, at that time had been diagnosed with cancer, and was ready to die. The day of my sister’s surgery, my mom received a phone call from a lady taking care of Sister Lauren. She called my mom to tell her that Sister Lauren was praying for Julie, and that she prayed that everything would turn out ok. I stood there in shock for a moment because I knew deep down inside it was because of the power of prayer that my sister didn’t need surgery.

I know now that prayer wasn’t something to rush through. God actually listens. Although many times we say God doesn’t care, he obviously really does. I believe through prayer, Sister Lauren healed my sister. Today, I take a little extra time to think about what I pray for and how it could really change my life. The tumor has never reappeared for my sister and although it didn’t affect me physically, I understand how important prayer means to people and how it can change lives.