Lauren - Tucson, Arizona
Themes: afterlife

I believe in life. What is life? Is it breathing, walking, eating, and feeling? Or is it something more? There are so many questions to ask about that one word; so many variations to the questions. So after life, what is there, death? Can’t we ask the very same questions about death, as we can about life? I believe in life after death- but doesn’t that seem out of order? Say there is something that means the world to you- a friend, a pet, or even an inanimate object. What if you lose that thing? Personally, I always have to wonder- is it really lost, or just more difficult to reach? When an impact is made on a person’s life, is it inaccurate to say that impact will forever be present? When we lose the person or thing that made that impact, but the impact is forever present, is the person or thing truly lost?

Some people call it loss- but if you can tap into the memory left with you, tap into the feelings and the lessons and the things learned, how has one lost? The word ‘loss’ is inadequate. What does ‘loss’ even mean? According to Dictionary.com, loss is “The condition of being deprived or bereaved of something or someone.” A popular truism says that when you experience death you lose a person, but gain an angel. Once more, we encounter the word ‘loss’.

What happens when we change the focus to the person that is actually gone? I believe in life after death. I don’t think that when a person dies, they are truly gone from us. It seems unreal to think that a person is just gone, deleted from the fabric of humanity. Their story as a person lives on, but their body and soul do not? Where does the soul go? Think of all the people that have come before us- are they really all in places called ‘Heaven’ and ‘Hell’? Where are the souls that are not yet born? How can we say that someone who has left us with a feeling, a love, or a lesson but then passed away has left? That lesson, feeling, or loving memory is still present- so with that memory, is it not possible that the person himself still lingers?

There is a greater truth in saying that death is just the next step to something greater. It’s a faithful thing to say- not only full of faith, but full of hope. It’s hard to think of having a Heaven or Hell- who wants to even acknowledge that there could be such a thing as eternal damnation? When something is gone from us physically it becomes our responsibility and/or obligation to keep them alive emotionally and mentally.