Jessica - Tucson, Arizona

I believe that one belief leads to another belief.

To begin, I personally don’t believe in religion because I don’t think it’s necessary at this point in my life. Why sit around and pray to a god who might or might not be around to listen? It is something that is completely uncertain. Why not trust within yourself and make things happen? If a person is mentally and emotionally strong in themselves, then why do they need some outside force to intervene for them?

That leads to my belief in the power of one’s self. If you sit around and let things happen as they will, then it is your own fault. Don’t blame others for your suffering or mishaps even if it is their fault. Deal with it and get over it; no use in carrying things around to make you feel less and less about yourself than is truly necessary.

Thus I believe that the images the media mainly portrays are damaging to the people who want nothing more than to be like those images. They harm themselves in, usually, futile attempts to be just as thin, ‘beautiful’, or any number of things along those lines. They lose themselves in trying to be what they see, which causes them pain in the end when they realize they can never be that person.

This brings me to pain. I believe that pain makes you stronger. Mistakes you make may hurt you and others around you but pain is a good way to learn about yourself. It can be a teacher that cannot be replaced.

I also believe that pain is more memorable than happiness. Last year a friend of mine decided that having friends wasn’t worth while. It hurt, a lot; it still does. Your friends you think will last forever, but, they don’t, they change just as quickly that moment in time is lost. Now, when I think about the good times we used to have together it brings tears to my eyes because it makes me remember what happened and what is lost. Loss hurts; I feel that more than I feel happy about what I experienced in that moment in time.

So, to conclude this list of belief’s that could go on for quite sometime. I believe that beliefs are strong feelings that they can only be obtained in a specific moment in time; a moment in time that can never be exactly repeated or captured. Because that time has passed; you can walk into a room five different times and have not one thing change but it will never be the same room. Each time it is a different room, each time it is a different thing.