Phuong - Washington, Missouri
Themes: gratitude, work

Tomorrow Will Be a Better Day

The last two years have been really tough for me. However, when I was struggling with my life, my job, and my family, I just realized that some things were very important: life ends when one stops dreaming, hope ends when one stops believing, love ends when one stops caring, and friendship ends when one stops sharing. The one who brought that philosophy to me is Doris, my family’s best friend. She makes me believe tomorrow will be a better day.

My whole family came to Missouri from Vietnam last November. I was dreaming about a beautiful world in America, but everything just turned out differently. My parents couldn’t get jobs because they were limited in English. That was so sad, and even more when I had to give up my dream – going to college – to find a full-time job to support my family. My mind just blew up as a balloon. However, I told myself I couldn’t give up my dream easily. I needed to be stronger to drive my family out of this ordeal. I needed a hope to strengthen my resolve. I hoped that tomorrow would be better.

Through the church, my parents met Doris. She was so lovable and had a good heart. She recommended me to work at Mc Donald’s. She also tried everything possible to help my parents get jobs. She applied for jobs together with them and gave them rides to work. The winter was so cold, but I could feel the warmth from Doris’s heart. I knew that my family had a best friend whom we would respect and love forever.

Finally, my parents got jobs fit to their skills. My family was getting filled up with laughter and hope. My parents bought an old car to go to work, a computer for my brother, and a backpack for me. I didn’t even know why they gave me a backpack until one day I realized that they wanted to see me going back to college. I couldn’t believe this. I knew that Doris had talked to them about that, and she liked to see me go back to college as well. Everything was just blazing in my mind: my hope, my dream, and even my belief.

Now I am a freshman at East Central College. I am still working part time at Mc Donald’s. I just got the “Employee of the Year” award for my hard work. I understand that sweet words are easy to say, sweet things are easy to buy, but sweet people are difficult to find. I greatly appreciate Doris, a gift from God, who has been bringing the light to my family over the past two years. She always tells me, “No matter what you feel, happy or not, you have to live, to face that. So why don’t you choose a happy way for life? Tomorrow will be better.” Yes, I believe in that, Doris.