Kelesy - North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Themes: nature

“I Believe in the Power of Nature”

I believe in the power of nature.

The cold, wet sand squelched between my toes as I walked along the beach. I looked back at the lighthouse where my Girl Scout troop and I were staying. The bright light flashed as it revolved, twenty-nine seconds, then another flash. We walked in the silence, broken only by the sound of the wind driven waves. The sky was beautiful, powerful, a blanket tucking the world into bed.

The stars winked. I looked back at the rest of my troop, all looking up at the vast sky; I joined them. As the cool, damp air bit through my thin jacket, I realized the power of the night sky. When I was little my father bought me a telescope; night after night I would search for a new planet, a new star, or a new crater on the moon. He would wake me up for meteor showers. I would grab my robe and slippers and run outside to make my wishes on the shooting stars.

The memories of my childhood rolled over me like the storm we saw coming across the beach behind us. Some of the girls screamed as the rain began to fall. Again I turned my head up, letting raindrops cloud my eyes. The wind began to blow. It was fierce, beautiful, deafening. As the storm roared around me, I began to understand: nature isn’t just beautiful to look at, it has meaning; it has power.

The wind began to pick up. I held my raincoat closed against the whipping gusts. Not only did this storm have physical power, blowing us about as if we were grains of sand, but it brought back old memories and united my troop and I. This storm reminded me of how much I loved the time I spent with my dad, searching for new stars. It reminded me of the faith I had that all my wishes could come true if I just wished hard enough. It reminded me of innocence.

This storm had the power to unite people. We were forced to depend on each other and act as one. As the storm grew fiercer, we huddled together in a circle, our backs against the wind driven rain. Once we had worked up the nerve to face the storm again, we ran as one into the house. We all sat in the living room, playing cards and yelping in unison when the wind and rain crashed violently against the windows. The whole night, we took turns checking the gauges in the foyer, reporting back with the latest wind speed. We were one.

Nature is powerful. It isn’t just a sky full of winking stars or a storm rearranging the sand dunes on a beach. It has a different power. That weekend I realized that nature can bring back beautiful memories and create new ones by bringing you closer to those you love.