Amy - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: tolerance

I believe in tolerance. I believe that tolerance should be exhibited by all the people of the world. Since I live in a place where every human is different and therefore, has a different set of values and beliefs, tolerance is crucial. This practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others is a trait I find most admirable. In a world of conflict, tolerance is needed to achieve compromise.

Since there are twelve classical world religions, many conflicts arise between people on the basis of religion. Almost all of these religions believe that their ideas are the only “correct” beliefs and everyone should share their same values. Some of these religious sects even go as far as to discriminate against other people who do not share their same beliefs. They do not accept the fact that they are different people, with different backgrounds, and therefore, different beliefs.

In my life, have found strong friendships with people of different faiths. We do not attend the same churches or temples; we do not have the same beliefs or understandings about creation and purpose of life; on some hot political topics such as abortion or death penalty, we have opposite opinions, but yet we are still great friends. We have simply agreed to disagree.

I believe that if all people could adapt this same attitude of tolerance, there would be peace. Although everyone would not agree all the time, a compromise would be possible and obtainable. If all religions were to preach the act of tolerance, the world would not have to witness terrorist acts based purely on the fact of difference. If it were taught that to be different is perfectly acceptable, people would feel more safe and comfortable just living within their own community. In my everyday life, I am able to find the middle ground when working with others to achieve a common goal. Without tolerance, there are many divisions of people across the world and world unification cannot be obtained. I believe that tolerance is the key to peace on Earth.