Ali - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: courage, fear

Take the Road Less Traveled

I believe in taking the road less traveled. This belief is what is driving me to travel across the country, ten days after my high school graduation to begin a new chapter in my life. This belief is causing me to spend three months in intense boot camp with my horse instead of spending my summer before college at home with my family and friends. This belief is sending me to an all women’s college in the hopeful pursuit of my future.

This was, of course, not what I had planned for my life after high school. I had it all worked out; I was going to stay in Phoenix, attend ASU, and continue riding at the same place where I started nine years ago. Of course, this plan was dashed on the rocks when my mother received a phone call from an old friend telling her about this amazing college that I just had to look at. My mom was hooked and two months later, I was on a plane heading to Massachusetts to visit a school full of girls.

Granted, this was an incredible school with all of the credentials of an Ivy League. However, I had a plan, and that plan did not involve attending college on the other side of the country. I was afraid to break out of my box. I had established myself in Arizona; I was done with moving, and had not been planning on living in yet another state for at least ten years.

Traveling to Massachusetts reminded me of my beliefs. I remembered that I have never been the person who does something because it is easy. I have always tried to do different things with my life.

I believe that taking the road less traveled is a way for an individual to grow into a well-rounded human being. If everyone stayed in his or her comfort zone and never attempted to stray from his or her well-tended path, then no one would ever experience life. Everyone deserves to realize a dream. No one should need to stay put because it is the safe thing to do. Life is about taking risks and trying new things.

I am taking the road less traveled, and I hope it makes all the difference.