Lindsay - Wake Forest, North Carolina

People are not cakes

I believe people look at other members of the human race the same as they look at a cake. Most of the time, the external layer, the icing, is the most important factor in determining if the cake is worth eating. When someone does eat a slice of cake, the icing is the first to be devoured. The same is true with people. A person looks at someone else on the outside, and immediately puts a label on that person, whether it is good or bad. They say it only takes us four minutes to decide if we want to pursue a relationship, but I say different. I think there is more to a person than just their flavor or color of icing, and that the internal layers are what really defines who a person is and what they stand for. For instance, when I see someone who is handicapped, dresses differently from the accepted norm, or perhaps has a different sexual orientation than mine, I try not to judge them in any way, shape or form, because I know they are more than that. What a person appears to be on the outside does not always match the inside. Just because a person is different from you does not mean you cannot be friends with them or respect them. I believe that everyone is worthy and everyone has a purpose in life, whether you’re a billionaire and CEO of a famous company, or whether you’re a high school dropout and run the drive through which the CEO happens to visit every morning for his jumbo extra strength coffee and bacon egg and cheese biscuit. I often see people judging others based solely on appearances, and it makes me disheartened, because nobody wants to be judged like a book’s cover. I believe the labels that exist within society should have little meaning, because nobody can be described or judged by one word alone. I’m sure that you wouldn’t want someone calling your entire being one single word picked out of a dictionary. If you would not like that, why would others want it to happen to them either? The answer is they wouldn’t, and for this I believe that people aren’t cakes. Our icing does not define who we are. It is our internal layers, or the flour, the egg and the sugar that make up the entire cake, that are really important in determining who a person is and what they believe.