Rebecca - Lawler, Iowa

My Grandma is an excellent example of my belief, “Thy will be done.” My Grandma has prayed daily for years, and she always ends her prayers with the words, “Thy will be done.”

My Grandma recently went to Mayo Clinic complaining that her heart was beating really hard, with occasional episodes of light-headedness. The doctors ordered a chemical stress test, to make her heart beat really fast so they could see if she had any blocked arteries. Just before her scheduled stress test, a woman’s health doctor, conducting a study, came and asked Grandma if she would be interested in being a participant in a study of Women’s Heart Health. After reading about Grandmas family history of heart disease, she felt that Grandma was a perfect candidate for the study. The purpose of the study was to compare regular stress test results with results form an echocardiogram, which lets the doctors visually see the heart working during the test, rather than interpreting the data generated during the test.

At first Grandma turned down the offer, feeling it would be just one more thing for her to go through. But the doctor persisted, and convinced her that she would be a great candidate for the study. She told her she could always back out at a later date if she felt it was necessary. Grandma is still unsure as to why she agreed to the study, a higher power must have intervened for her, and she agreed to be in the study. Just before Grandma was to start the chemical stress test, the doctor did an ultrasound to get a baseline of her heart before the stress test. When the doctor put the ultrasound probe on her heart, she could see a tumor in her heart. Several other doctors came into the room to view this rare tumor, which was in Grandma’s left atrium. After discovering the tumor, the stress test was cancelled. The doctors told grandma that had she gotten the medicine to speed up her heart during the stress test, it would have most likely killed her.

Obviously Grandma’s time on earth wasn’t meant to be over. It was someone’s will (a higher power) that she be granted more time with her family and friends. “Thy will be done: has taken on an even deeper meaning for me and all of my family.