Curtis - Fairfield, Connecticut

By definition, a hero is a person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life. I agree with this definition, and I believe that the term hero is often used out of context. In school, I often here conversations when the term hero is used. For example,

“Can I borrow your notes?”

“Thank God, you’re my hero!”

I believe that the term hero is so overused, that all of its significance has been completely drained. So I asked this question to my self,” Who’s to blame for this problem?” and the only answer I came up with were the cartoons that we grew up to. Louis Lane was always saved by Superman and Olive Oil was always saved by Pop Eye. We saw heroes so we would try and be them. Are parents didn’t help by calling us heroes either. By the time I grew up I couldn’t remember what the real meaning of hero was. Then something shocking helped me learn the true meaning of the term hero.

On September 11, 2001, two plains crashed into the world trade center building, and one plain flew into the pentagon. After these horrific events a new side of our country was shown. You could not walk down a street without seeing several American flags. You couldn’t watch a ball game without seeing the giant flag on the field. Last, but not least, you couldn’t go on the highway without seeing a God Bless America bumper sticker. These patriotic mementos were out because firemen and police men had ran into these tragedies, saved lives, and had never come out. They sacrificed there own lives to save the lives of others. Wow! Now that is a hero. But look around you. Where are the flags now? Where are the bumper stickers? I know it’s been almost five years, but they’re still heroes. I believe they’re still heroes.