Danielle - Corona de Tucson, Arizona

This I believe that everyone should live everyday as if it’s your last, because you never know what is going to come next. Life is unpredictable and you don’t know what you are going to have to put in your planner.

Earlier this year (2006) I found out that my 20 year old brother, Steven Gillis, (a.k.a. LANs Cooperate Gillis, has to go to Iraq to fight in the war.

When my dad told me on April 17, 2006 that my brother was leaving, not to go on vacation but to go to Iraq. I broke down. Everything inside of me said, “why does it have to be MY brother”, but then I thought, “why am I being so selfish? Why do I always think about myself? He’s fighting for his country and the safety for his family and friends. I wouldn’t want any other sister, brother, mom, dad, friend or family, to go the same emotional roller coaster like me.”

That day when I got to school everyone asked me, “What’s wrong, what’s wrong?” I told them, “My brother has to go to Iraq on Mother’s Day!” All of my friends were there for me. I’m so glad that they were, because if I didn’t have their shoulders to cry on or their arms there to give me a hug, I probably would have burst, not caring about school, softball, or anything around me. Just the fact that my brother was leaving. I thank God everyday to have friends that will always be there for me through the hardest moments that life gives and takes.

Everyday I pray for my brother and all of the soldiers in Iraq. Not only to keep them safe but also to bring them home to all of the people that love them.

If my brother dies in Iraq I would probably be so angry at whoever did that to him. I would also blame God because he didn’t watch over my brother. But then I would stop and think, “Why would I blame God or the guy that killed him?” Everything happens for a reason. Of course I want my brother to come home safe, and I would break down and shut everyone out of my life for a while, but I would try to get through it. My family and friends will be there for me and I will always talk to Steven through my prayers.

My brother is probably one of my best friends. Even though he is 20, has a job, his own house, and a girlfriend, we spend as much time together as possible. I love him so much and pray to God that my best friend comes home safe.

This I believe that everyone should live everyday as if its their last, because you never know what kind of “CHANCE CARD” God is going to put in this game called life.