Rose - Chandler, Arizona
Themes: family, love

I believe in the power of a hug. When I was younger, I would go up to my grandmother’s house for holiday dinners. My dad would pull up to the drive way of his old home in Winslow, Arizona and lead my sister and I into the house. Right when we stepped in the door I could hear the burst of joy as family was reunited. There were hugs all around. I was a shy child and wasn’t used to giving hugs; I was a side hugger (meaning I hugged with one side of my body). I didn’t know my family very well, but once my grandma saw me, it was like we were united. She pulled me into her bosom and I melted into every curve of her body. As I stood there, unable to breath from the hold she has on me, she kisses my entire face. I squirm and giggle trying to break free, but, once it’s over, I don’t want it to be over. I believe a hug from your grandmother is the best hug to receive. There is no doubt in the world how she feels. I know she loves me, as much as a person could love another person. After she hugs me it is like I am a part of the family, I don’t feel shy at all because she gives me the courage to talk to anyone there. With one hug she makes me feel welcome and wanted. I believe that if anyone received a hug like this they would have no doubt in the world that they are loved.

This power coming from one person is amazing. I am astonished that with one action I can give another person the power of courage, and strength. Now, when I hug, I latch on with both arms and pull the person in as tight as I can, to let them know how I really feel. It is amazing how much you can tell about a person by the way they hug. I can sense their personalities, extroverted or introverted. A hug to me is the best way of letting your emotions be shown. I will never forget all of the hugs my grandmother gave me and will make sure my children and grandchildren receive the same affection as I did. :)