Emily - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: children

I believe in Santa. I believe in the excitement all children feel on Christmas Eve. I believe in hope exemplified by reindeer, milk and cookies, and elves with pointy ears. Most of all, I believe in childhood. Unrestrained thoughts and feelings are uttered without remorse. Love, happiness, and sadness are felt so deeply and passionately. Despair is remedied with a kiss and a hug, while it is not only possible, but easy to revel in happiness forever. Love, too, is felt without hindrance. Tears dry before they hit the ground and “I’m not going to invite you to my birthday party!” is the most devastating of phrases. Decisions are made immediately and “what ifs” are never pondered. All are friends, even the little kid who picks his nose.

When I think of childhood, I envision bike rides and skinned knees, Kool Aid and ice cream cones, and neighborhood games of freeze tag. I think of the importance of every event in a little kid’s life. Snack time and recess are the sole purpose of existence. Only bath time and bedtime meet resistance, and even so, they are not that bad. Mommy and Daddy take care of everything, while doting on their little ones. Praise is free flowing and criticism does not exist. Jumping on the bed results in unbelievable joy. A new toy provides days of entertainment, and a doll or teddy bear transforms into a lifelong companion. Imaginary friends do not result in a stay at the mental hospital and Disneyland is the final frontier.

Innocence is not a long-forgotten notion. True intentions are apparent, and not self-centered. Purity is undoubted. Inhibitions are uninhibited. Gifts are given freely and readily. Cookies are broken down the middle, half for me and half for you. The sun is always shining and rainy days are thought of as an opportunity to dance in the puddles. Even on those stormy days, a rainbow is always the end result.

I hope for a simpler life, where things are what they seem to be, friends are forever, and everything is forgiven. I yearn for a more understanding world, a world with Santa.