Cristine - Chandler, Arizona

I remember the night vividly; I had just gotten home from camp and was chatting online with some friends. I looked in someone’s profile and saw RIP Josh. I became confused and decided to look in a few more profiles only to see the same phrase. I asked one of my friends what happened and was devastated to find out that our friend Josh had committed suicide. Immediately I began to sob, I couldn’t understand why. Little did I know that it was at that moment I learned one of the greatest lessons of my life.

We all go through difficult times some seem unbearable. However, I do not believe in giving up and throwing away what could have been. I believe in embracing life and striving to go on, no matter how immense the problem may seem. It is this credo that has been taught to me by many and has kept me going through the year.

Years ago, my grandfather passed away, leaving behind a wife, seven children, and fifteen grandchildren. My grandma, wanted to give up and be with her husband. But I saw something spark in her. I saw her acceptance of what had happened and her will to keep moving on. I could tell that she did not want to leave behind her children and grandchildren. Because she did not give up, she has seen her grandchildren grow up, get married and bless her life with great grandchildren.

I have wanted to give up many times myself this year for it has brought a number of unfortunate events in my life. I have always had a special place in my heart for my grandparents, my Nana and Tata. My Tata is ninety-four years old and fading fast. On my last visit he did not know who he was let alone who anyone else was. At one point I was Daisy. (None of us know who Daisy is) Seeing him like this made me wonder, what’s the point? Why would I want to keep going if I am just going to end up like this? Things aren’t that great now, so how can they be any better?

Then I realized these few months are just a very small fraction of the amazing life he lived before. Being born in 1911, he got to see our nation grow. He married the love of his life, had three children, and was present for the births of all of his grandchildren. He always had a song in his heart and a chuckle in his belly. All of these attributes made life worthwhile. Had he given up early in life, he would not have accomplished so much nor met my grandma and I would not be in the picture at all.

So while I may not be optimistic all the time, I will never give up my future or the future of others. I believe in life and always moving forward.