Cooper - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: community

I believe that everyone needs a little adventure in their lives to cure the repetitive nature of each coming day. A break from the monotonous life of working more hours then you should, can be just the thing to lift your spirits. People become so wrapped up in the struggle to accumulate wealth that they forget what life is all about. To live is to enjoy your life. If life becomes routine and boring, you are not living. Being adventurous brings out the best in you while in a fun atmosphere that promotes mental and physical development.

When I was 16 years old I entered a race with two of my co-workers. They were both much older then I, both around 28 years old. The race was a 45-mile course that included kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, and map reading. There were no markers on the course, only coordinates that must be plotted on a map. How you reached these points was up to you. I had no problem keeping up with my co-workers. I am an experienced kayaker and able mountain biker. They commented that they had no idea I was a good mountain biker and that they never would have guessed that a mere bus boy could keep up with adults.

As the raced progressed we became very lost. Taking many wrong turns and reading the map incorrectly cost us hours in lost time. The worse off the situation became, the more we learned about each other. In adventurous situations people’s true emotions are vividly displayed.

After lots of teamwork and problem solving we finished the race in 12 hours. We had become close friends and learned much about each other. The next few weeks at work, all we talked about was the race. Work wasn’t so bad anymore.

I strongly believe that a little adventure can bring people closer together. When you are forced to make decisions under stress, your inner self is revealed. This can bring people closer together and remind us why we love getting up in the morning. It forces those who always have their lives planned out and in control to let go and have fun. Adventure throws you outside of your comfort zone, putting you in new situations that break the everyday routine. A little adventure is all you need to put a smile on your face.