Sara - Arizona

My belief is simple, similar to not judging a book by its cover; I believe people should not judge others by their relatives, and the families that they were born into. I think people need to be looked at as just that, individual people, not always as an extension of their families. My reasoning for this lies within my own family. For the last three generations, the Heck’s have been the get your hands dirty, outdoors loving, plain, and simple family. Building a cabin in the rugged forest’s of Roscommon, Michigan, population twenty-seven. They spend countless hours hiking, camping, and hunting. Generally, we stray from the nightlife and large cities, trading them for a scenic walk through the mountains or weeks alone, without a glimpse of technology at a decades old cabin in the woods. I am unfortunately lumped into this persona the Hecks have spawned over generations. It is for this reason that I believe people need to be thought of as separate entities, not in conjunction with their families. I prefer high class to outdoors, fabulous and extravagant to plain and simple, and a penthouse in the city to a cabin in the boonies. I am not one to spend time alone in the mountains or forest, I would much rather stay in the city, with the rest of civilization; going out at night, and sleeping in in the morning. I am not happy just living a simplistic life; I want to be remembered for something.

After generations of producing one type of person, I sometimes wonder what happened? Although I am overwhelmingly glad that I am not like the rest of my family, I tend to get annoyed with being, I guess you would say, “stereotyped” as one of them. I believe people should be judged as their own person, not what those in their family before them were like. I want people to look at me and know I am different than my family; just because I have grown up with them, does not mean I retain their standards for living and favorite pastimes.