TJ - Tonganoxie, Kansas
Themes: Christianity

“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, who seek not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” This is the basis of my life. This simple phrase for the Apostle Paul in Romans 8:1 is, in my mind, the background of Christian living. This verse, simply stated, means that there is eternity in heaven for all who seek wholly after the things of God and the Holy Spirit’s call.

Now you may be asking yourself, “Why is this my philosophy?” Well, it’s pretty simple, really. I have two choices presented before me: I can conform to the world and live my life to please myself and spend eternity in hell forever separated from God’s awesome presence, or, I can live a life seeking after God and pleasing him and spend eternity basking in His glory. When presented with these two scenarios, there really isn’t much argument for the first side. Even with this overwhelming reason to live by Romans 8:1, there are several more.

The first advantage is the fulfillment of the Great Commission. This commandment, spoken by Jesus in Matthew 28:19, says, “God ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.” This is basically commanding us to get out and spread our faith to all people, that they may have the peace of Christ for themselves.

The aforementioned peace is the next supporting reason for my philosophy. This peace is explained further by the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:6, where he tells us, “Do not be anxious about anything, but by prayer and petition, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Basically, this tells us that all we have to do when we are having problems is lay them before God, and his peace that, “transcends all understanding” will be sent to comfort us.

My third reason for having this as my philosophy is that I am promised to never be alone. When Jesus was nearing his death, he told his disciples that he would be leaving, and that a Counselor would come (John 14:15). This Counselor is the Holy Spirit. Jesus promises us this gift so that we will not be left alone “as orphans.” Along with the Holy Spirit comes many things – the greatest of these being Spiritual Gifts, as described in 1 Corinthians 12. A few of these gifts are speaking in other tongues, powers of healing, and prophesy. Now, you may be wondering how I know all of these things are available to me, since these events took place thousands of years ago. Well, just turn to Acts 2:38, which says, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the Gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off – for all whom the Lord will call.”

Now I have laid out my life philosophy for you to see. In comparison to others that you may have heard, it may seem simple, it may seem way out in left field. I could have chosen many different ideas to write about, but I picked the most important one. Why is it the most important? For this answer, let’s consult 2 Corinthians 4:18, which says, “So we fix our attention not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen lasts only for a time, but what is unseen is eternal.”