Gina - Pheonix, Arizona

This I believe…

I believe in the voice, the voice of the people. I believe in the power a voice can have. I believe in the voice of Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King. I believe in the change one voice can bring upon; the enormous change one thought can spark. I believe in the power a voice can have in a time of turmoil, the voice that can lead a country through a war, a disaster, or a time of need. Without voice, without one person to stand up and state their beliefs, we would have no advances, no development in the history of mankind.

The majority always starts out as a minority. One person with a voice must speak before any change can be made. They might be opposed and ridiculed for being the only one, but soon others will join. And now one voice has turned into two, and the message will become stronger. On August 28, 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, in front of thousands of people and delivered his voice to the country. He started out as only one man, with one voice, but spread it into a movement, a movement for equal rights for all Americans.

I have never been one to hold back feelings or thoughts; I have always been open about what I wanted to say and when I wanted to say it. I discovered that if I held back how I truly felt, nothing I wanted would ever happen, I would be left sitting there, regretting, and asking myself “what if?”. No person in history has ever made any significant changes by staying silent. I knew if I wanted to make a difference in my own life, I would have to stand up for what I believed in.

I cannot say I have made any changes to be compared to the great speakers of American history. I have not begun a revolution, or calmed a country with words of encouragement and sympathy. But I still have a voice, and that voice can change anything I set my mind to. With that voice I will educate, I will teach the coming generations of the great advancements one voice has made. And who knows, maybe my voice will spark a fire in them to make a change in there own world. I can only take the voices that have inspired me, and use my voice to teach others the power of one opinion. The coming generations cannot keep silent, they too much believe in the power of the voice.