Jordan - Phoenix, Arizona

I Believe in Luck

I believe in luck. I believe in the kind of luck that is present in all aspects of your life. I am a young fellow growing up in a rapidly changing society with few opportunities for success, but many opportunities for failure. Without luck, I do not think that I would have made it to where I am now in my life. With luck, we are able to learn from our mistakes without suffering the consequences, move on through tough times unscathed, and offer advice for future generations that is unattainable through normal measures.

When I think of luck, I think of the movie “Maverick.” Against all odds he pulls out an ace of spades to win the final game of the tournament. This comes as the culmination to weeks of troubles that he has suffered through. While the other men in the tournament would use the money to do evil deeds, the main character was honest and pure in his intentions.

Experiences in my life have also strengthened my belief in luck. When I was 4, I was at my grandparent’s house riding on my grandpa’s tractor as he was scooping the fresh snow into piles. Suddenly we ran into a patch of ice at full speed and the tractor jolted violently. I was sitting on the side of the tractor and was thrown forward and off. While the tractor stopped for a second, it instantly regained traction and started to come onto the ice. When I flew off, my head narrowly missed a solid metal bar where the bucket for scooping snow hooked up to the tractor, but somehow amazingly the hood on my coat flew over the bar and stuck. By the time my grandpa realized what had happened and reacted by depressing the brakes on the tractor, it was already on the ice. So when he did hit the brakes, the tractor slid for at least another ten feet before completely stopping. If my hood had not caught onto that metal bar, I would have been run over by a ten thousand pound tractor and instantly killed. At the time, I did not even understand what had happened and I did not truly realize the full scope of the situation until several years later. My grandma thinks that I have a guardian angel and I do believe in angels, but I think that luck is more prevalent.

I believe that without luck, whether it come in the form of poker, falling off a tractor, organized illegal street racing, or academics the world would not be the same and, as in my case, the world would have fewer people. Luck appears in all shapes and forms throughout our lives and if I’m ever in a tough situation it tremendously eases my anxiety to know that luck is out there watching over me.