Brian - Phoenix, Arizona

I believe in help. Help that comes from people who travel around the world and in their community to assist people that are less fortunate. Hearing stories of individuals who went to the gulf to assist Hurricane victims or people that went halfway around the world to help victims of the deadly tsunami. Stories like these touch hearts, sacrificing their own comfort for the good of other people.

Help does not have to be a huge commitment like going to another country. It can be as easy as giving someone directions if they are lost. Helping someone is soothing and creates a better society. The person being helped is usually in an unfortunate situation and depending on the severity, can feel hopeless. Helping them with their needs could be all they need to turn their lives around or brighten their day. As the helper one also feels better about themselves.

Many Americas do not realize how desperately in need people in other countries are. They may hear about the lack of food or poor living conditions but they can not comprehend just how bad it is. To make matters worse, many Americans just do not care and do not try to help. The only way for people to really know how bad life is in other countries is for them to actually be there.

This past summer I had the opportunity to travel to Honduras on a mission trip. Our main project was to start building an orphanage in a small town a few hours away from the capital of Tegucigalpa. The day I arrived, I was saddened to see how terrible the living conditions of the city was. Most houses were shacks, many with dirt floors. There are so many orphans that they cannot build orphanages fast enough. Another trip I went on was to Rocky Point, Mexico. I figured in a resort town the people would be living great. I was wrong, many houses hardly had walls and only a few had running water.

These two trips made me feel lucky to live where I do. They gave me a whole new outlook on life. Helping people is such an important job. Notice the word job. I believe everyone needs to help. It may seem like a pain, but after words, you realize how important help is. If everyone decided to help each other the world would be a much happier place.

The small sacrifice one makes to help another, is nothing compared to the reward that comes after.