Julia - Tempe, Arizona

I believe that in a world full of problems and evils, a person must work hard to be successful. I believe that in order to be successful, a positive attitude is absolutely necessary. Without a positive attitude, one is surely to become downbeat, pessimistic, and unconstructive. It is very difficult sometimes to keep one’s positive attitude as the world bears down on a person, but like I said, it is extremely necessary for triumph.

As I have lived my life, I have experienced first hand just how important an attitude is. Whether positive or negative, an attitude has a great impact on the success or failure of any project or goal. In the workforce, it is obvious that when I am happy, in good spirits, or cheerful, I get things done a lot faster and more efficiently. On the contrary, if I am upset, tired, or feeling displeased, my work is either not finished because I am not working quickly enough, or it is finished but not done with good quality.

An attitude also affects those around you. It is possible to have a good and content attitude and put those around you in the same mood, therefore creating a better working environment, or you could have a bad attitude. With this bad attitude comes tension, stress, and anxiety.

I remember when I was working at a daycare and one employee came in grumpy and upset. Everyone assumed she was having a bad day, so we made sure to steer clear of her during this time. All day long she snapped at the kids, told us what to do, and sat with her arms crossed when she had nothing else to do. Because of her attitude, the rest of the employees in the room became irritated easily and began to snap at each other. There was one way we could have avoided this situation. Instead of staying away from this woman when she was upset, someone should have tried to cheer her up. Attitude is contagious. All that we needed to do was make a joke, or ask her how she was doing. In general, all it takes is an act of kindness. But this was our mistake and because of it we had to endure the rest of the day, wishing we were somewhere else, with someone else. We created a tense environment, in which no one could be happy. Instead of smiling and playing with the children, we sat around moping in our own gloom.

This is the moment in which it occurred to me that it is all about attitude. A positive attitude is definitely desired when trying to get something accomplished. Without this, it is not possible to complete a goal to its fullest potential.