Andrea - tonganoxie

Oprah Winfrey once said, “It doesn’t matter who you are or where you came from. The ability to triumph begins with you. Always.” This quote is very true and throughout her life, Oprah has proved that. Oprah is a nonocnformist because she went from rags to riches, she was one of the first successful black women to start her own talk show, and she also started the “Oprah’s Angel Network”.

Oprah was born in a poor Mississppi town. her unwed parents left her to live with her grandmother. Oprah and her grandmother lived on a farm and were very poor. They were so poor that they couldn’t even afford indoor plumbing or toys for Oprah to play with as a young girl. Although being poor was tough for Oprah, the affect of it was that she did great things with her life.

As a young girl growing up on a farm, Oprah had to be a very responsible kid. she was always hauling water around and doing a lot of miscillaneous chores. Oprah’s grandmother would always teach her how to do certain chores. When her grandma did this, Oprah would think, “I don’t need to know how to do this, because there will be no farmwork in my future. I will be successful, unlike the rest of my family (Krohn 9).

Oprah proved she was serious when she started “The Oprah Winfrey Show” in January, 1984. When her show began, the ratings rocketed and it became the number one show for nineteen consecutive seasons. To get her own show, Oprah had to go through many ups and downs. She was shot down at many auditions up until the day she sent in her audition video to Harpo Studios. To prepare for her broadcasting carreer, Oprah went to college and majored in speech and drama. She had to participate in many beauty pageants to raise money to get through college. Participating in these pageants also polished her stage skills (Holland 20).

Another example of Oprah’s nonconformity is that she started the “ Oprah’s Angel Network”. This network has helped many people around the world. It has already raised over fifty million dollars for under priveliged children. All of the money it raises goes to non-profit organizations (www2.oprah). This network has helped establish scholarships and build schools for the needy all over the world.

Oprah grew up poor, but showed the world that she could lead a successful life, she started her own talk show, and started the “Oprah’s Angel Network”, all of these things show that Oprah is a nonconformist. Through thick and thin, Oprah has led a successful and nonconforming life.