Danielle - Tonganoxie, Kansas

This I believe

I believe that in helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us. I have found these words to be so powerful and true. show you why i think this statement to me is very powerful and true.

In May of 2004 my family lost our house in a fire. The number of people that came forward to give us clothes, dishes, and gift cards to purchase new things, was very over whelming and awesome. Other people helped work endlessly with building the house, from the electrical to painting. From my families tragic experience to what happened with hurricane Katrina, I have realized what it’s like to lose everything all at once. Before our house fire I really didn’t do a lot towards helping other people. I didn’t understand the concept of a person who was homeless, because i pretty much had everything I ever needed or wanted, so it didn’t make much sense to me.

But now since the loss of our house, I have a much better understanding of what all these people are going through sense i experienced it as well. In a way, I was luckier in the fact that I had my family to live with until we rebuilt. Now, it wasn’t the same since it wasn’t my bed that i was in each night, but at least i had one, unlike so many others. It was also very hard in that the only clothes i had were the ones that I came home from a trip I was on with my grandparents when we lost the house. So, after all this tragedy in my family, my heart went out to all those in hurricane Katrina.

I now know just how lucky my family was. No one died; we all were safe. I want more than anything to help those people and anyone else in such need. So we give money when we can, donate clothes, and give food to help the hungry. So, if there is one thing I’ve learned from all of this, it is that life is about helping others who are in need and when your time of need comes around there will be people there, more than happy to help you out. So I hope now you understand the reason i believe in that quote I do believe that there are some people out there who will help you when in need.