Sasha - Bakersfield, California
Themes: immigrant

I believe that the American people as a whole have become so used to protests that it very rarely has an effect. Take for instance the protests that swept across California high schools a few weeks ago.

Recently a bill has been in Congress that would try to solve the problem of illegal immigration. The bill would make most of the illegal immigrants eligible for eventual citizenship while also providing for stricter border control. This outraged many high schools students and gave them the idea to do a walk-out on the school campuses. This might have been a good idea, if they had fully understood what the bill meant. When interviewed many of the students who joined in the walk out admitted that they did not know specifically what they were protesting. Instead they waved signs and shouted to anyone that would listen, “Viva La Mexico.” While they were out of school one student even dared to make the comment, “I just want to go to college.” It is ignorance like this that makes the American people immune to the original reasons for a protest.

When protests were first started they were organized with the idea of helping people to know the issues and to let the government know that the people were aware of what was going on and that they would not let the government make decisions against the voters’ will. However, now a protest or walk out is used to get attention. Most of the participants do not fully understand what they are protesting and still insist on being opinionated and forcing their beliefs on others.

Even though protests are not effective right now, I believe that one day, hopefully soon, they will once again come to have a positive effect on the American people and to help this mighty nation.