Crystal - Tonganoxie, Kansas

My Philosophy on Life

What is my belief? Well a teacher once told me “Creativity is the door to the rest of your life, and along with it comes the acquired knowledge.” Shortly after this was told to me I began wondering what she meant. As my life progressed and I gained more experience. I came to realize what she meant. I now believe that creativity and the knowledge acquired with it are important to live a happy and successful life.

A major influence for people today is society. I believe that you shouldn’t let society’s ideas of what should be hold you back. You should think individually and independently from society, and be able to do it freely. For example, if some of the great scientists, let’s say, Galileo Galilee, had done things based only on society’s opinion, we would have never figured out that the Earth revolves around the sun. The knowledge he gathered by discovering that the Earth revolves around the sun is the acquired knowledge that came with the creativity of thinking independently from society.

From my personal experiences throughout grade school, middle school, and now high school, I’ve learned that creativity is not only a door in itself, but it also opens up so many other doors. By learning to be creative through artwork, writing, and problems faced in everyday life you can expand your horizons, develop, and grow as a person. When people are presented with a problem society has taught them to handle it in a certain way. We are conditioned to certain ideas. Instead of thinking as society does, use your own creative thinking, and discover something (about yourself or maybe even the world as we know it) that you didn’t know before. Then use the knowledge that you’ve acquired to think even more creatively and different when faced with a new problem.

As a teenager going through the difficulties of life I still have a lot to learn, but every time I’m faced with a new problem and I’m not sure how to handle it I always think of what that teacher told me. What that teacher meant when she explained to me that “Creativity is the door to the rest of your life, and along with it comes the acquired knowledge” was that no matter what happens if you go through your life with a creative open mind, independent from society, then you will always be successful. Even if you’re not the most intelligent you can use the knowledge that you’ve gathered from past experiences to help you get through your life. That is true success.