David - Easton, Kansas
Themes: integrity

This I Believe Essay

Steve Prefontaine once said “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” I fully agree with that statement which is why I believe that everyone should give there best in everything they do. That belief of mine ties into the words of the legend John Wooden, “a man may make mistakes but he is not a failure until he starts blaming others.” So I believe that everyone should always give there best and have a good attitude no matter what the outcome is.

The beliefs that we have can either make us better people or worse. Hopefully I only have beliefs that will change me for the better. In athletics I believe we should give our best because you never want to spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened if I had just gone a little bit faster or a little bit harder. In case anyone is still wondering Prefontaine is a track and cross-country runner in some ways like me.

I believe we should also give our best in academics but for a few different reasons. I give my best in school because first, I want to succeed in life and have a comfortable life. The second reason, and the most important is I don’t want to see the look on my mom’s face if I come home with grades not up to their extremely high standards.

Now I firmly believe that we should give our best in not only athletics and academics but also all aspects of our lives because as I stated above you never want to wonder what if I had done something different.

I also believe the words of the legend John Wooden. A man may make mistakes but he in not a failure until he starts blaming others. I have learned through sports that that statement is true in my life. As I said I run track and cross country and this is an event that changed me for the worse. I was running a race against a guy from Perry and he was right behind me. He dug his spikes into my calves. I know I should have been the bigger person and let it go but well anyone that knows me knows I’m hardly ever the bigger person and I said some bad things to the person. Soon after that I realized that I was the true failure because I stooped to his level

We all make mistakes and there is nothing we can do but learn from them. We also should always give your best so you never have to wonder that terrible question “what if.”