Trevor - Tonganoxie, Kansas

Humans have Flaw

What makes a human, human? His Character? His ability to Love? Or

Is humanity defined by the wealth and power of our society? Flaw, that is what defines us. Everyone and Everything is imperfect, has a flaw. Although our achievements define what kind of a person we are, our flaws and mistakes define who we are. Humanity’s greatest achievements have occurred because of a flaw or mistake, such as, the wheel, harnessed electricity, oil, and yes even the pretzel.

Most people I know think that a flaw is but a disease, something that is not good. I say flaw is a good thing. Flaw enables us to see things differently, or see what we could not before. Flaw is a process. You have to fix a flaw, it’s human nature, and you must understand it, before you can correct it. I am not saying all flaws are good. My favorite word takes its roots from the Greek language; this word is also used by one of my favorite author’s, T.A. Baron, the word, hubris. Its definition is of lost origin, but we decipher it as overconfident, or inflated pride in oneself to an almost dangerous level.

I believe that flaws are a hard thing to talk about in modern society because; it shows others that we truly do have a weakness. Humans have a discreet problem with dealing with weakness, we must be invulnerable, or nothing. I myself, have MANY flaws. A very dangerous flaw I have is, I lie, a lot. It isn’t so much a habit as it was a while ago, but it is a temptation, to lie, to make myself look better than I am. Another flaw of mine is I am not as outspoken as I should be. I think that I am very intelligent, but I share my thoughts and ideas with no one.

If the world were perfect, than there would be no need for government, or religion, or any of the other common cultural bonds that hold humans together. Why do you wake up in the morning? Well I would say that I wake up to try and fix the flaws in my life, or the flaws I have with myself. Flaws keep us guessing, they also, in a weird sense, keep us alive. Flaws are a great thing, maybe not light or dark, good or evil, but great.