Ben - Hickory, North Carolina

America today is a melting pot of all kinds of people, but we have a problem with illegal immigration from Mexico. I believe that in America today we need workers that are willing to do some of the jobs that we, as Americans, don’t want to do. However, those workers should be citizens of this country by law and not just by location of residence. America was founded on the belief that all people were free to come and go as they please, as well as have the freedoms that we promised them. The process that a citizen of another country must go through to become an American citizen may be difficult and arduous, but like all things it has its rewards. The recent controversy over immigration has sparked protests across the country for the rights of immigrants.

There has been a huge spike in the immigration across the U.S. and Mexican border, which is putting stress on local population making things difficult for the local population, but at the same time helping the economy of the U.S. which is still on the rise. However, our space is limited and we cannot continue to allow that many immigrants, legal or otherwise, onto this land. When we reach this limit we will be in serious crisis since in many places we are still struggling with the limitations of the area that we now control. In a short span of time our borders may need to be increased to accommodate our massive population.

Bush has proposed a guest worker program that would allow an illegal immigrant to work legally for six years in the same way that they are now. Most of the workers disagree with this program since it does not lead to them receiving citizenship thusly that will lead them to deportation once the six years are up. This is a complaint that can be easily disputed since six years is more than enough time for a person to attain citizenship in the United States. This program would also allow for the government to keep track of how many immigrants there are in America which will give us the ability to make decisions on what needs to be done about the population. The other option that has been proposed by Congress is to deport those that have not been here a certain number of years and grant citizenship to those that have been here a period of time exceeding that of what would be needed to receive the citizenship that they desire.

Though immigration will allow for improvements in the economy and get jobs that others don’t want to do done, it seems to present more negatives than positives. Most illegal immigrants don’t pay taxes and receive the benefits from those of us that do. It also makes for a loss of space that America is already growing short of. In the end I believe that laws need to be made that will control what many would call an epidemic.